Solar Plexus Chakra Summary
The Solar Plexus Chakra “Honour Oneself”
The third energetic centre is known as the Solar Plexus Chakra. This fiery sun yellow coloured spinning disc of vibrational energy completes the physical trilogy of the human energy system and primarily relates the development of personal power and self-esteem. As the name suggests, the physical location is found at the navel, over the solar plexus – you may even feel this as a “kick to the guts” when somebody criticises you!
The Solar Plexus Chakra is similar to the first (base) and second (sacral) chakras in that it primarily relates to a physical form of power. Where the base chakra resonates to group or tribal power, the sacral resonates to the power of flow between the self and others, this third chakra relates to our own personal power and assists in the process of individualisation and the forming of “self”.
As we develop a sense of self (usually during our early formative years), the intuitive voice of our solar plexus becomes our natural and constant source of guidance. How we feel about ourselves and whether we treat ourselves with love and respect can determine the quality of our life and our capacity to succeed. If we are unable to like and respect ourselves, we become incapable of making healthy decisions and can hand our personal power over to the hands of someone else.
People who have a low sense of self-esteem attract relationships and occupations that reflect and reinforce this weakness. Self-understanding, acceptance and the bond we form with ourselves is therefore one of the most crucial spiritual challenges that we face.
In Hindu the name “Manipura” has been given, which translates to “lustrous gem” because it shines bright like the sun. Like the sun, this fire in our belly within gives us vitality and sparks action. If we are not loving with ourselves by giving ourselves the room to breathe, explore, to make mistakes, then we have no air for the fire to burn and can become cold and despondent. The element associated with this chakra is “fire”.
Strengths of the Solar Plexus Chakra
- healthy self-esteem
- warm personality
- strength of character
- the ability to generate action, handle a crisis and take risks (follow through on gut instincts)
Weaknesses of the Solar Plexus Chakra
- overly aggressive
- manipulative, power hungry, deceitful
- temper tantrums
- eating disorders
Fears of the Solar Plexus Chakra
- appearing foolish
- physical appearance (obesity, baldness, aging)
- others may discover our “secrets”
Sacred Truth of the Solar Plexus Chakra | "Honour Oneself"
The goal here is to mature in our self-understanding and the relationship we have with ourselves, learning how we stand on our own and take care of ourselves.
The spiritual quality compels us to create an identity that is separate from our tribe.
Physical Aspects of the Sacral Chakra
Blocking this energy can give rise to arthritis, gastric ulcers, indigestion, anorexia or bulimia, liver or adrenal dysfunction.
Exploring your Solar Plexus Chakra
Emotionally, Mentally and Spiritually, questions you may like to journal about include:
- “Do I like myself?” If not, what parts and why? Are you actively working to change?
- “Am I honest with myself and others?” If not, why?
- “Am I critical of others?” Does blaming others protect you in some way?
- “Can I admit when I am wrong?”
- “Am I open to feedback from others about myself?”
- “Do I need approval from others?” If yes, why?
- “Am I afraid of taking care of myself?”
- “Have I allowed myself to be in a relationship with somebody I don’t really love because it is better than being alone?”
- “Do I respect myself?”
- “Am I afraid of responsibility, or do I feel responsible for everything and everyone?”
- “Do I wish my life were different?” If yes, am I doing anything to change this
Exercises for your Solar Plexus Chakra
There are many ways that you can focus on and support your solar plexus chakra.
- Jogging or Power Walking
- Yoga sun-salutations
- Breath of fire – rapid diaphragmatic breathing
- Meditate on the sacred message “Honour One-Self”
- Chant the mantra “Ram” to create sound vibration in the body to harmonise with the solar plexus chakra.
How we can help
We can use Kinesiology to access your subconscious and explore energetic aspects related to your solar plexus chakra. Together we will find out what your body most needs to support its own self-healing process.
Kinesiology can be utilised in person or virtually.
Yours in Health,